Skip to main content

Adrenaline junkie

It's unlikely to evoke much sympathy from the general public if I state that yesterday was a pretty exhausting day for me.

I rose at 0500 hours, read the world's media while consuming the porridge and fruit that is my usual breakfast. That's a necessary part of the day that equips me to be able to respond in an informed way to the kind of things that will likely be in the minds of my constituents and others with whom I will interact during the day. As a by-product of that, I will also have been sharing on social media the links to stories I found of interest.

I then have the self-appointed task of writing my daily diary. That generally checks out at about 1,100 words and takes approximately another hour. In a sense it takes a bit longer than that because from time to time during the day, an idea of what I may write about pops into my head and I jot a note down to remind me later. Some days I face a blank sheet of paper. Not often because, even in social isolation, I am interacting with the world around me, media, constituents' concerns, my observations of the world around me as I exercise outside. And my spouse too is keeping an eye on what's going and will pop into work (otherwise known as my home office) with tea, encouragement, disapprobation about the disorder of my desk and its environs, and updates from the broadcast world she is constantly monitoring.

Shut away we may be. But cut off we ain't.

The most difficult part of the hour's writing is not the writing. It's actually the proof-reading. And that may extend over a couple of hours until my self-imposed publication hour of 1000 hours is reached. Not a continuous process. Rather a periodic return to the task interspersed with other activities.

Reading one's own words and trying to spot the mistypes, mis-spellings, unfortunate solecisms, and sheer unnecessary complexity of expression is actually very difficult. Because one reads what one thinks one has written rather than what one has actually written. I have to fool my brain into seeing it for the first time rather than it just being a confirmation of what it already thought it knew.

Using the word-processing editor to change the font, generally from a san-serif to a serif font helps. The serif is that funny squiggly bit that hangs off the end of letters. Or which may be absent (san = without). Enlarging the font too assists in breaking the mental set that gets in the way of good proof-reading.

Yesterday was a particularly early start to the day (today is even worse; I rose at 0440). Because the schedule showed it was to be a heavyweight day.

First up was the COVID-19 Committee of which I am part. A second Bill is having to be considered and the Committee's meeting is the first part of Parliament's deliberations on its contents and ommissions.

It is not simply a matter of "turning up" at 0900 hours to discuss matters with colleagues. Emergency or expedited Bills, this is one of the latter, proceed at a potentially dangerous pace; a pace that risks our missing something. The Bill and its associated papers, things like the Financial Memorandum, which tells us about the anticipated costs of implementing the legislation, was published a mere twenty hours earlier. And requires considerable care in reading as a single word, misused, mistakenly included, carelessly omitted, can have significant legal effect.

We generally have some help in coming to a judgement. In this case, in the 20 or so hours referred to, others beyond Parliament have been reading it. The Law Society of Scotland has been scrutinising its contents and intent and will appear before us to answer our questions.

For my part, I will have quickly read the Bill once. Done that in the first 60 minutes after publication. Re-read it to mark those parts I want to scrutinise more closely. Read those parts again to confirm my understanding or the lack of same. Worked out what my questions might be. These cannot just appear from thin air.

In this case, I also spotted what I considered to be an omission and drafted two amendments which I submitted to the Parliament's legislation desk for them to tidy up my words and put into proper legal form.

When I "tuned in" via the electric internet at 0900 yesterday to our Committee meeting, I was sharp as a tack and fine-tuned with knowledge and understanding of the Bill's subject matter. Or at least I had some sense of my difficulties.

Two hours later, the Law Society had answered many of our questions and helped us understand some of their concerns about the Bill. Fortunately, none appeared to be major.

Then it is the responsible Cabinet Secretary "dialling in" from Argyll to answer questions.

Finally, we discuss as a Committee our reactions to what we have heard. And consider what our report to Parliament might contain and whether we wish to recommend that it should agree to the general principles of the Bill. That needs to be done by 1000 today. It's needed before this afternoon's Parliamentary debate.

The Committee ends its meeting at about 1215, three hours after starting and nearly seven hours after I commenced work for the day.

That leaves 75 minutes for lunch. For considering how I will deal with my speaking in a debate in Parliament in the afternoon. And setting up my office to be the studio from which I shall broadcast to the debating Chamber in Edinburgh and to the world.

Because the online meetings we have had so far, have been Committee meetings. When physically present, we sit around a table and discuss the matters before us. But in debates, we rise to our feet to speak. We project our voice out to those present. It looks, feels and sounds rather different. And I wanted it to look proper.

The result I thought worked rather well. And the rather thin "pipe" down which the picture and sound were carried to Edinburgh, I don't have anything vaguely like superfast broadband, behaved properly. The new suit I had acquired just before having to be excluded from Parliament, enjoyed its first wearing and looked awfully bonnie.

But as the picture below shows, the setup in my home office is pretty Heath-Robinson. A ministerial box, Scottish ones are blue in contrast to Westminster's red, stood on its side to provide the required height for the camera in my Chromebook laptop.

A pile of books elevates another PC with my script, written during the debate and sent in draft to the Official Report a few minutes before I spoke, to a sufficiently elevated eye level to mimic my reading from the podium I would have had in Parliament. Ad hoc but sufficient. Oh, and carefully positioned light.
So on-air in Chamber from 1330 to 1730, another four hours. And because of the monitor in Parliament almost constantly showing the view from Banffshire on a very large screen, no opportunity to relax my posture.

Indeed I received an urgent text from a colleague to encourage me not to lean back in my chair. I seemed to be in danger of adopting an unhelpfully relaxed image similar to that which the current leader of the House of Commons will ultimately have as the illustration which will accompany his obituary.

A brief break and we are into a pre-meeting discussion of the Rural Committee. It finally concludes and allows me to leave my "studio" at 1845. Most of ten hours in front of the camera. Now nearly fourteen hours since I awoke. Frazzled.

And the draft report from this morning's Committee meeting pops into my intray. I read that while ignoring my spouse across the dinner table.

Am I complaining? Actually no. It's been a high energy day with adrenaline flooding through my blood vessels pretty constantly. And that's one of the most addictive of hormones. Slightly dangerously so yesterday because it occurred while I was fairly constantly in a sedentary position.

Yesterday was the first day in eight weeks where I could not find time for a single minute of physical exercise.

Bad habits beckon once again.

Resist, resist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Eric Liddell Centre Burns Supper

Welcome to the world of Robert Burns. 558 pieces of writing over a couple of decades, around 400,000 words in total. Not all of it in Scots. Some of it, as his “Grace Before Dinner” illustrates, in English; O thou who kindly dost provide For every creature's want! We bless Thee, God of Nature wide, For all Thy goodness lent: And if it please Thee, Heavenly Guide, May never worse be sent; But, whether granted, or denied, Lord, bless us with content. Amen! Thank you indeed to those who tonight did provide. Some of Burns’ writings, recorded for us long-standing folk songs. An educated man who studied French, Latin and mathematics. Not a rich man, not a poor man; when he died he left the equivalent in today’s money about £40,000. And a man known to this day as a father whose children had many mothers. Every woman in Edinburgh and many beyond seemed to want to explore what he kept in his trousers. Indeed on the very day of his funeral, his last child was born. Burns

Settling In

It's now eighteen months since we settled in Edinburgh after a couple of delightful decades in rural Banffshire. Having never lived in a city, we viewed the move with caution and a degree of planning. The car sits relatively idle in residents' parking in our street. It did only about 2,000 miles between its 2021 and 2022 MoT checks. With the nearest Edinburgh City Car Club pickup point just round the corner, I have only to persuade herself that a further conversion of lifestyle would make sense. The garden flat in which we now live suits us fine. Quite a substantial downsize has meant a clear-out of much impedimenta from 50+ years of marriage. And for the first time, we live permanently together. Big changes. With the time to pursue what has been a hobby since the 1960s - genealogical research - that is precisely what has moved centre stage in my daily activities. Enrolment in an MSc course at the University of Strathclyde. Edinburgh is a large village, and on my daily wal

A good accident of legislation .. in 1865

Found by accident in the Nairnshire Telegraph and General Advertiser for the Northern Counties - Wednesday, 25 January 1865 WOMEN'S RIGHTS FOREVER! The last mail from Australia has brought us the astounding intelligence that the Legislature of Victoria, having conferred the franchise upon women one of the provisions of their latest reform Bill, the fair voters, in proportionate number exercised their right at the General Election, the result of which is the rare phenomenon of giving an existing Government working majority. One is disposed at first sight to grudge the colony her high distinction. But on examination of all the facts, she has not, after all, so far surpassed in courage, faith, and virtue the other nations mankind might first sight appear. It is true the Victorian Legislature has given the right to women to vote in the election of its members—but, although the name of the colony might suggest that gallantry was its motive, strict truth obliges us to say that n