Skip to main content

Re-calibrating life

As a measure of our creeping away from most restrictive aspects of this pandemic lockdown, we had our first proper fish supper at the end of this week. Rockfish in Whitehills has adapted its layout to create a one-way system which allows 2-metre social distancing. They used to have 38 seats for eating-in customers. For the time being they're gone.

They have always taken telephone orders and that now enables them to book you in for a specific time; in our case 1830. And on arrival, the order of two portions of lemon sole and one portion of chips awaited collection; fresh and hot. Herself who had placed the order had not specified the enclosure for the fish. So they were battered rather than breaded as I might have specified. But it's a lovely light batter.

Looking at the kitchen orders behind the staff, it was clear that they were in for a fairly busy evening. This fine establishment says on their web site (http://rockfishwhitehills.co.uk/) that:

"Our family has over 100 years of experience in the fishing industry and one of our vessels, Audacious, was one of seven in Scotland to pilot CCTV on board to demonstrate our commitment to sustainable fishing."

So you know that this is not any old fish and chip shop. Note the "one of our vessels". It's well worth the six-mile drive from home.

On my return, the warmed plates are on the table, the salt and vinegar standing ready to be dispensed. Even though I have been adrift from Edinburgh for about two decades, the yearning for salt 'n sauce has yet to leave my system. None in the house. So it's vinegar tonight.

The rest of the family, Donald Ruirdh and Madelaine, the felines who occasionally allow us the illusion that it's our house and that we are in charge, have sensed the change in the catering arrangements. They are positioned at the other end of the kitchen table. As the contents of the Rockfish packaging are tipped, "warm reeking" (Robert Burns, 1789), from their constraints, the four of us gather closer together.

Apparently, some think this is a meal for four, not two. Our small bosses are not generally scroungers, but the presence of lemon sole on the table causes four mouths to salivate, and their small share is picked off and laid before them.

Last week also saw a Friday evening where I was "zooming" with my former business colleagues. Apparently, one spokesperson on the opposition benches believes that people of my political alignment have no business experience. We should perhaps invite her to listen in. Between us, we probably employed over a thousand staff and were a key part of Scotland's business infrastructure.

But actually, the conversation was a wee bit different. A little on health. Our group tops out at over 80 years of age and no-one has failed to reach seventy. So some health discussions, although most of us are pretty well.

A bit of pandemic talk; they seem to think I know the answer to every question; many but not all.

This week, some discussion about the choir that a few of them are members of. The annual concert, which involves over a hundred singers and a large orchestra, simply cannot be contemplated. The sale of a large number of tickets is essential to cover the substantial costs. Apparently, there are online get-togethers where people join in by singing along at home, lead by a central chanteuse or chanteur. But the technology doesn't allow the voices to be well-aligned to the timeline. So it seems that it's a singularly solitary and unfulfilling experience. Yes, you can see everyone singing, but you only hear one voice.

People are prepared to pay for my silence when the opportunity for me to sing arises. I have heard the recording. Their judgement is sound.

One of our number is a serious oenologist, with a collection of good wines in his cellar. He was absent this week, so we did not start with proper scrutiny of the contents of each of our glasses. Our Banffshire cellar, imprisoned in the kitchen within a cave automatique with a lockable door, is the domain of herself. She releases a bottle of refreshment for these fortnightly sessions. And keeps it at her end of the sitting room from whence she makes the occasional foray to top up my glass.

This week has made this especially necessary. Merely because of Thursday's walk. I had made the mistake of forgetting to actually plan my route. I concluded that as there was a previous slightly longer walk where two things of moment had occurred; I found a pound coin on the road and I turned off at the wrong point, I would rewalk it and get it right this time. Failed.

Found no more money; no surprise. But concluded this time that I would take the same turning as before as there was something of interest up that side road. But in failing to plan I had failed to twig that it was an eleven-mile walk. Herself phoned me to enquire about my whereabouts. Not because of any concern for my welfare, but because of worry that I might not return soon enough to collect the fish and chips at the appointed time. Priorities, priorities.

I can only recall one occasion when she really, really should have worried. It was the Second of November 1975. That was the one occasion when she attended to watch my jumping from an aircraft. It was my fourth parachute drop; an activity designed to relieve me of my fear of heights. It was also the one occasion when it went wrong. The 'chute failed to open properly. She displayed her legendary calm sough, saying only to me afterwards that she was glad that my life assurance was paid up. She probably also remembered that I had met my lawyer two days previously to sign a new will.

Ultimately I concluded that I was not really afraid of heights. After all, I could depart from a perfectly serviceable aircraft half a mile up without too much concern. I discovered instead that I was afraid of the ground. And to this day find it difficult to be six feet up a ladder.

I am now left with one major challenge in my life. I find it extremely difficult to cut the fingernails on my right hand.

Can we recalibrate my brain to think I am cutting those on the left?

Probably not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Eric Liddell Centre Burns Supper

Welcome to the world of Robert Burns. 558 pieces of writing over a couple of decades, around 400,000 words in total. Not all of it in Scots. Some of it, as his “Grace Before Dinner” illustrates, in English; O thou who kindly dost provide For every creature's want! We bless Thee, God of Nature wide, For all Thy goodness lent: And if it please Thee, Heavenly Guide, May never worse be sent; But, whether granted, or denied, Lord, bless us with content. Amen! Thank you indeed to those who tonight did provide. Some of Burns’ writings, recorded for us long-standing folk songs. An educated man who studied French, Latin and mathematics. Not a rich man, not a poor man; when he died he left the equivalent in today’s money about £40,000. And a man known to this day as a father whose children had many mothers. Every woman in Edinburgh and many beyond seemed to want to explore what he kept in his trousers. Indeed on the very day of his funeral, his last child was born. Burns

Tome for a new keybiard

Today is the one hundred and eighth daily episode of my reports from an 8th decader's lockdown. For a mathematician, 108 is a "good" number. Having three digits just locks into parts of the brain that tune into threes. And at a glance, it is a number that is divisible by three. Why, at a glance? Because if you add up the digits one, zero and eight, the answer is nine. Any number whose digits add up to a number that divides by three is itself divisible by three. If after the first add, you have answer bigger than nine, add the digits together and keep doing that until you have a single digit. This is a digit sum. If the final digit is a nine, then the original number will be divisible by three and by nine. If it's a six, then it's divisible by two and by three. And finally, if it's a three, then it is an odd number which is divisible by three. I am far from sure, but my memory is trying to persuade me that I was taught this at school. I am certain about

On being a fit old loon

One of the quite significant changes brought to my life through lockdown is the taking of more exercise. And yesterday marked an important numerical milestone - 400 of them. Coupled with my having spent 427 minutes (7 hours 7 minutes if you wish) on the rowing machine where it's been 40 strokes a minute, I have not been fitter for decades. There's been a bit of rooting about among the accumulated detritus of at least fifty years. Mainly that's led to a slow movement of junk towards the bins. But it has also uncovered a pair of chest expanders. They certainly haven't been used for some forty of those years. I might consider that their time has come as part of the fitness program were it not for the handles at the end of the springs having gone walkabout. May have to fabricate something. All of the 400.11 miles I have walked have been on my daily exercise in the local area. My saviour from the potential damage to my feet and legs has been a pair of shoes with good p