Skip to main content

Seamus Logan Adopted as Westminster Candidate

SNP Westminster candidate for Aberdeenshire North and Moray East Cllr Seamus Logan has been formally adopted by the local SNP members as their candidate for the next UK General Election.

Seamus has been campaigning across the constituency since being selected last year but the political tradition of holding an 'Adoption Meeting' in this election year was continued last Friday at a well-attended event in the Station Hotel, Portsoy.

Aberdeen South MP and Leader of the SNP Westminster Group Stephen Flynn spoke at the event as did former Banffshire and Buchan Coast MSP Stewart Stevenson and Seamus Logan’s candidacy was unanimously approved by all present.
Speaking in Portsoy on Friday night, Seamus Logan said:

"I'm honoured to be the SNP candidate for Aberdeenshire North and Moray East. The SNP's priority right now is protecting people from the worst effects of the current cost of living crisis, ensuring we have a controlled and just transition as the renewables industrial revolution gathers pace, offering an alternative and more energetic approach to the needs of our farmers and fishers; and protecting our vital public services, particularly the NHS.

“At the next General Election in this constituency the realistic choice will be between the Conservatives or the SNP. People here understand that we in the North-east can play our part in bringing an end to this incompetent, corrupt and heartless Tory Government by voting for the SNP.”

Former Banffshire and Buchan Coast MSP Stewart Stevenson said:

"In Seamus Logan, people can be sure that we will have an energetic and strong local voice to stand up for our vital interests. I am delighted that Seamus will be leading the campaign in Aberdeenshire North and Moray East for the SNP at the next UK election, whenever the election is called.

“I know that Seamus will work hard to earn the trust of voters in this constituency and build on the proud record of service provided to constituents by their SNP representatives at all levels – councillors, MSPs and MPs."

Westminster SNP Group leader Stephen Flynn MP added:

"People in Aberdeenshire North and Moray East have an SNP candidate in Seamus Logan that will bring a lifetime of public service in health and social care, as well as a strong record of standing up for constituents as a local councillor.

"Westminster's dire economic policies are failing communities right across Scotland who, through no fault of their own, are being forced to reckon with the soaring cost of living.

"And with Labour shamelessly tied to the Tory policies causing so much harm to Scottish households, it's abundantly clear they offer no real alternative.

"Seamus Logan joins a strong team of SNP candidates who will stand up for Scotland's values at Westminster while opposing the grim status quo and I look forward to working with him in the months ahead to bring that strong message to voters across Scotland."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bumbling Along

One of the excitements delivered each year is to watch nature awakening from its winter snooze. Yes, there are plenty of things still going about their business in the cold. Some even relish it. But when you see, as I did yesterday on my walk, your first two butterflies of the season, the commonest of all, the small tortoiseshell, it fair gladdens the heart. Too fast to photograph but not too fast to recognise. With the vast amount of whin flower now out, they won't be short of nectar. Since my spouse redid the garden about 15 years ago and put a "country hedge" around it, we've seen a significant rise in number and variety of insect life. I think Collins Complete British Insects cannot quite fill the shortcomings in my ability to identify particular types. I can only say that we will probably have three types of bumblebees in 2020 as we have had in previous years. And other types of bees will likely be feeding on the flowers in my wife's hedge before social...

Leading

It's Saturday, I think. No, with Parliament restructured to have a relatively predictable schedule that repeats week by week, I am now back to knowing roughly what day it is. But the feeling of luxury that came with waking up on a Saturday and contemplating a day in which the world of work would intrude only a little has gone. Because each starts with the same pattern. Indeed so fixed has life become that I hardly ever set the alarm on my phone. I simply rise at between 0530 and 0600, make my porridge, sit down at the computer and get on with it. Each day. Every day. That's a bit dangerous. If I now yearn for anything during lockdown, it is for a bit of novelty—a break with this new routine. And yet, my daily pattern was broken by lockdown so I should be able, freed as I am from many previous constraints, to simply choose another new pattern. To keep doing that every so often if I feel the need. In my professional life, I could expect in our company to move on to a new ...

Nature's factory swings into action

Today marks the start of a very different, and much more active, online Parliament. This morning, I shall be part of an informal Rural Economy and Connectivity Committee meeting. In the afternoon, I shall be at a private "set-up" meeting of the new COVID-19 Committee which Parliament agreed to establish yesterday. During tomorrow it's an informal meeting of the Environment, Climate Change and Land Reform Committee. On Friday we have our first formal meeting of the COVID-19 Committee. It's followed in the afternoon by questions to Ministers. The COVID-19 Committee has among its responsibilities, oversight of the new, and rapidly developed legislation brought in in response to the coronovirus epidemic. Some of this is time-limited. There is a requirement for the Government to make various reports to Parliament on how they are using their new, and quite wide-ranging powers. I expect the new Committee will be the first port for these reports. So despite my being req...