Skip to main content

Reflections - An interview with SPVR

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less gassing, more gas

Today's the day I expect to cross 250 miles of walking since the 17th March when, as a vulnerable person, I had to become socially isolated. It's the last day of the first seven weeks. The week Parliament might normally be expected to resume after summer recess would be week 25 for me. Normally the weeks before that would be occupied by agricultural shows, with the Turriff Show, Scotland's second-biggest, being the highlight and only eleven miles away from home. No show this year. The Traditional Boat Festival at Portsoy which started twenty or so years ago with an attendance of a few hundred and nowadays attracts tens of thousands from around the globe, cannot take place. I won't be alone in feeling the loss. The occasional very wet summer has in the past curtailed these events with the loss of most of a year's income for the organisers. And they have survived. This year, having a planned cancellation many months ahead may reduce the outgoings in a year of li...

Avoiding big, nasty clouds

I had not expected to find myself tweeting a picture of snow falling on Banffshire yesterday. And yet it was, and I did. This morning there is a little snow lying on my car and on our roof. It was sufficiently intermittent to allow me to leave the house and start my daily walk. Within twenty minutes it was on again. I opened my mouth to freshen my palate and lo, a great surprise, the snow tasted of salt. Then I lifted my head and looked out to the North East where the Moray Firth could be seen. That was the direction from which the big, actually a bit smaller than usual, black cumulonimbus cloud from which the snow was being deposited had travelled. I could see another one a few miles away, awaiting me later in my walk but on arrival choosing to fire pellets of hail at me, rather than snowflakes, when it reached me. The cumulonimbus clouds were quite central to the meteorology part of my pilot's training some thirty years ago. In the international standards for aviation wea...

Seamus Logan Adopted as Westminster Candidate

SNP Westminster candidate for Aberdeenshire North and Moray East Cllr Seamus Logan has been formally adopted by the local SNP members as their candidate for the next UK General Election. Seamus has been campaigning across the constituency since being selected last year but the political tradition of holding an 'Adoption Meeting' in this election year was continued last Friday at a well-attended event in the Station Hotel, Portsoy. Aberdeen South MP and Leader of the SNP Westminster Group Stephen Flynn spoke at the event as did former Banffshire and Buchan Coast MSP Stewart Stevenson and Seamus Logan’s candidacy was unanimously approved by all present. Speaking in Portsoy on Friday night, Seamus Logan said: "I'm honoured to be the SNP candidate for Aberdeenshire North and Moray East. The SNP's priority right now is protecting people from the worst effects of the current cost of living crisis, ensuring we have a controlled and just transition as the renewables...