Skip to main content

Expert computers? Perhaps

There's a significant balance to be struck between structure and novelty in one's life. Nevermore so, when social distancing means that the provocation to action that might come from the remarks of a colleague, friend or opponent is virtually absent.

I have previously written about my having populated my calendar with regular activities that get me started each day and set me on the path to a productive day. The target for writing my diary is for publication at 1000.

But first comes breakfast and reading the day's media stories. That's scheduled for 0600 to 0700. Fits with my natural wake time and requires no alarm. However, with Parliament now adopting a new pattern and method of working, two days next week already have a new start time of 0500. And the need to set the alarm on my phone. Done.

Domestic issues arise too. We go shopping about every ten days. And a quick look in the fridge shows the need. Still some cheese, the last of the milk and a few well-depleted jars of this and that. Not that we are starving, the cupboards have a reasonable supply of long term staples, and the freezer is far from empty. But less fresh produce is eaten. We bridge some of that gap with a daily vitamin C tablet.

The rules for us "vulnerable" 8th decaders allow for a daily shop. As country-dwellers, we never have done that. But more to the point, when there is over a week between any external contact, we know if that we are well, we are free from COVID-19 and won't infect anyone.

Speaking of which, I also check in daily with the COVID-19 app recommended by NHS24 to say I am still well. The reminder's in my diary for 0830 each day. You can download the app from http://covid.joinzoe.com and support the folks at Guy's and St Thomas's Biomedical Research Centre who are coordinating the data collection and analysis on behalf of our NHS and others across these islands.

So the first early start is Monday. Partly personal, partly Parliamentary. The shops mostly have their "older customers only" hour at the start of the day. We shall leave the house to restock the fridge well before 0800. And I also have to be sure to be back for two Parliamentary video-conference meetings.

Wednesday sees another early start with four online meetings. A clash means that one of my staff will attend the external one on my behalf.

Yesterday rounded off a successful week of "onlines", eleven in all. And this afternoon I will hook up for another briefing by Darcey, my eight-year-old god-daughter and assorted lesser persons, of whom I am so categorised, of course. Social contact, albeit now at a distance, remains an important need, for us and for those we call. This week I should catch up with my siblings too.

The home "studio", that's my study and my home computer equipment, which were not designed to look good on TV. Adjustments include drawing the curtains to reduce harsh lighting contrasts, but creating the need for additional lighting.

There are five fairly thick books sitting on my desk to ensure that the table lamp that illuminates the right of my face is high enough up to leave the area under my chin in relative shade (a case of the "wrinkled neck" that comes as a fellow-traveller with age). The room light provides a wee bit of backlighting, creating a suitable mild "halo" through its contre jour effect so beloved of art photographers, and lights the left side of my face.

The desk places the camera in my laptop computer at the correct height and behind it, and slightly above it, is one of the screens of my main computer from which I can read from my notes if I need to.

The selection of books was random, based more on size than content. But as it happens one, in particular, is still very relevant to some of the scientific challenges arising from COVID-19. Artificial Intelligence (AI) applied to "crunch" large volumes of data is held out as an important part of work to understand and respond to the crisis. But we need to be cautious about the limitations too.

In an international video conference, I participated in this week, I suggested that the first application of AI should be to move options down the list. The fewer options left, the better our decision-making is likely to be. It may be less good at directly finding the answer.

One of the books holding up the light on my desk was edited by an Edinburgh-based AI pioneer, Professor Donald Michie, and published in 1979 by Edinburgh University Press. It contains papers from a range of researchers produced mainly for a conference on the subject. AI has been around for a long time, from the mid-1960s in fact, and only now is it finally becoming mainstream. An extract from a paper in the book, by J R Quinlan of the University of Sydney, illustrates a problem in data analysis in a way understandable to most people. Here goes:

"I like curried chicken, chilli con carne, Szechwan pork, Mongolian lamb, satay, pepperoni, tabasco sauce .. [that] suggests I like all spicy foods."

He says that provides a coherent conclusion. And he's correct. But he had not been asked for a list of foods he did not like. There might be spicy foods on that list which would invalidate the first conclusion. At our peril do we forget that the choice of questions has a strong influence on the answers.

With a novel disease, we are short of data, don't have all the questions, and will have to make decisions, yes - led by science, that will have to be refined at a later date because they have been based on incomplete understanding, albeit the best available at the time.

So a week of novelty, but within a formal structure created by me and for me, is keeping me alert and interested. And serendipity is causing me to pick things up, such as books, that have been lying neglected on the bottom shelf of one of our many bookcases, that I find relevant and interesting.

Exercise beckons now - my diary says now. An exciting weekend ahead in that regard. Have walked 189.45 miles since lockdown started. Will cross the 200-mile barrier tomorrow. But careful with numbers. Would I be as excited if I noticed that I would exceed 321.86 kilometres on Sunday? It's the same distance.

The numbers are not what is important. It's what they tell us.

And crossing 200 miles tells me that I have invested a proper part of my social isolation getting fitter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Eric Liddell Centre Burns Supper

Welcome to the world of Robert Burns. 558 pieces of writing over a couple of decades, around 400,000 words in total. Not all of it in Scots. Some of it, as his “Grace Before Dinner” illustrates, in English; O thou who kindly dost provide For every creature's want! We bless Thee, God of Nature wide, For all Thy goodness lent: And if it please Thee, Heavenly Guide, May never worse be sent; But, whether granted, or denied, Lord, bless us with content. Amen! Thank you indeed to those who tonight did provide. Some of Burns’ writings, recorded for us long-standing folk songs. An educated man who studied French, Latin and mathematics. Not a rich man, not a poor man; when he died he left the equivalent in today’s money about £40,000. And a man known to this day as a father whose children had many mothers. Every woman in Edinburgh and many beyond seemed to want to explore what he kept in his trousers. Indeed on the very day of his funeral, his last child was born. Burns

Settling In

It's now eighteen months since we settled in Edinburgh after a couple of delightful decades in rural Banffshire. Having never lived in a city, we viewed the move with caution and a degree of planning. The car sits relatively idle in residents' parking in our street. It did only about 2,000 miles between its 2021 and 2022 MoT checks. With the nearest Edinburgh City Car Club pickup point just round the corner, I have only to persuade herself that a further conversion of lifestyle would make sense. The garden flat in which we now live suits us fine. Quite a substantial downsize has meant a clear-out of much impedimenta from 50+ years of marriage. And for the first time, we live permanently together. Big changes. With the time to pursue what has been a hobby since the 1960s - genealogical research - that is precisely what has moved centre stage in my daily activities. Enrolment in an MSc course at the University of Strathclyde. Edinburgh is a large village, and on my daily wal

A good accident of legislation .. in 1865

Found by accident in the Nairnshire Telegraph and General Advertiser for the Northern Counties - Wednesday, 25 January 1865 WOMEN'S RIGHTS FOREVER! The last mail from Australia has brought us the astounding intelligence that the Legislature of Victoria, having conferred the franchise upon women one of the provisions of their latest reform Bill, the fair voters, in proportionate number exercised their right at the General Election, the result of which is the rare phenomenon of giving an existing Government working majority. One is disposed at first sight to grudge the colony her high distinction. But on examination of all the facts, she has not, after all, so far surpassed in courage, faith, and virtue the other nations mankind might first sight appear. It is true the Victorian Legislature has given the right to women to vote in the election of its members—but, although the name of the colony might suggest that gallantry was its motive, strict truth obliges us to say that n