Skip to main content

Windy Weather

Yesterday's walk was a little different. A forecast of wind gusts of 42 miles per hour, admittedly under a clear blue sky, suggested choosing a more sheltered route than usual. So a bit shorter, but much harder, my route took me off-road for some of the distance.

Two scarves to keep the wind off my ears, and another day encased on long johns, represented something substantially less than high fashion but provided an effective barrier against the wind.

A route around the edge of Reidside Moss, our local site of Special Scientific Interest, was a wee bit depressing. The state of this SSSI is short of the ideal. It should be a bog and support a diversity of wildlife.

It is rather dry and looks like a scruffy bit of scrub with a near monoculture of whin, broom and grass. But it probably isn't deteriorating because its status at least prevents it being used for anything other than what is. Nature as it once was—a rare patch of land which is not obviously the product of human intervention.

The weather I was walking in was somewhat localised. The photo of the blue sky I was walking under prompted feedback from my Twitter and Facebook posting that dust storms existed a mere five miles away.

It's interesting how this period of social isolation actually seems to have increased my interaction with neighbours, waves over the fence, friendly hellos across the road, and more feedback about relatively inconsequential things via social media.

Somehow it's a bit better to be having a discussion about objective observations of local weather conditions than to be batting down, to no real purpose, the odd lunatic piece of political "fake news". And we don't need to go across the Atlantic to the home of "fake news". We can grow our own. Albeit it seems somewhat less virulent than that which comes off the fingers of the orange one.

A couple of days ago, I was reporting that exceptionally high barometric pressure was being experienced. That's normally associated with a period of calm as the "high" bats off the lows that can bring rain and wind. But in the absence of our having a barometer - should I buy one online to give me another interest during isolation? - I observe that my local observation suggesting that the "high" has yet to reach us is borne out by the online weather maps.

Our forecasters are suggesting a record high temperature of 20 degrees. I look out the window this morning and find a light dusting of snow sitting on the car. It's an old saying that two professions can get it wrong most of the time - weather forecasters and economists - and keep their jobs.

Years ago, I used to have a professional relationship with someone who had spent some years as a weather forecaster - in Antarctica. They have weather like we have grass in the fields. Real weather, everywhere, all the time.

For him, it was a substantial struggle to go outside and cover the 100 metres or so to the Stevenson Screen - like that name - to get weather readings.

The Stevenson Screen was designed by Thomas Stevenson, a Scottish civil engineer who designed many lighthouses and was the father of author Robert Louis Stevenson.

I can, alas, be fairly sure that I ain't related to these Stevensons. They were a relatively well off family. My ancestors were essentially serfs, working in coal mines around Bannockburn. The 1841 Census shows over 300 Stevensons living in the area. So dispensible were people like my Great-Great-Grandfather Robert Stevenson, that his death in a mining accident in 1836 was nowhere recorded. And he was not alone in that.

Only the advent of DNA testing as part of the modern genealogist's array of research tools has finally enabled me to pin down my Stevenson ancestors. A Y-chromosome test, that's the DNA handed down from father to son and absent in females, helped me find a fifth cousin once removed - that's pretty distant - whose family had a written record in a family bible. Our families joined together in the family tree some 280 years ago.

So we're not connected to this Screen in Antarctica. But the account given to me by - let's just call him "Jim" - suggests that his connection was more tenuous than it should have been.

After a month or two, the twice-daily battle to go out and capture the weather readings became just too much for him. He stopped doing it, listened to the Antarctic weather reports on the radio and made up his own by interpolation rather than observation.

If true, and there's a good chance this may have been a "tall tale" provided to entertain over a glass or two, it perfectly illustrates why proper academic research has a rigorous system of peer review built into it. Independent academics read, verify that the processes used are robust, validate the research against others in the relevant field of study, and provide a adequate safety net against rogue science.

That's why if someone puts some unlikely, let's use the word - daft, "scientific" assertion on social media that begs my attention if I engage at all, it is to ask for peer-reviewed research that backs up their claim. Silence is the invariant reply.

We are fortunate in the present health crisis to be able to rely on our Chief Medical Officer and the access she has to widely-verified and peer-reviewed research. Without that, the correct practical and political response would be impossible to determine with any certainty.

So not every tale from Antarctica can be relied upon. But they do illustrate how to survive social isolation.

And today they are the only continent with no COVID-19 Coronovirus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No pigtail after all

For the first Saturday in a normal recess, it would be routine to report that nothing had happened. But not so. The post-session recovery that generally occupies the first few days has yet to start. And indeed, is required more than usual. Since being elected nineteen years ago, I have had no May and June months with as many Parliamentary Committee meetings. A bit less speaking in the Chamber certainly, but it's Committee work that takes the real effort. In this past week, it has been well over three hundred pages of briefings to read. And to understand. There are those, not merely people who hope for a remunerated retirement to what Jim Hacker of TV series "Yes Minister" referred to as a home for vegetables-otherwise known as the House of Lords, who regret our not having a second house for our Parliament. Worth noting that over two-thirds of the world's legislatures are single Chamber like us. And a large part of those that do, only have one because ex-colonies

Masking time

My spouse has just brought to my attention an interview conducted by Jon Snow on Channel 4 last night. Carefully probing two professors about the flare-up of the coronavirus in Leicester, he let science lead the discussion. That picks up on my writings yesterday about the need for good quality, non-political advice closely available to political decision-makers. Young Jon Snow, he's nearly a year younger than me, is a cool head in a crisis. When I've met him, I have been impressed by his listening skills, his ability to pick the necessary essence of what's been said by his interviewee and test it. What struck me quite quickly was a coincidence of name. One the founders of modern epidemiology was John Snow. He was a physician who conducted a statistical analysis of cholera infection and linked it to a contaminated water supply. Famously the street water pump in Soho was disabled in 1854 and within three days cases dropped off. A further pointer to water being the pro

My critical data

Were you to visit my office in Parliament, you would find no paper visible. And if you opened the drawers and the cupboards, very little would be then revealed. What there is, lies between the covers of books. From Tuesday to Thursday, there will be a pile of magazines waiting to be read. What's left unread goes for re-cycling at 1715 on Thursday as I depart for home. Anything that arrives on paper and whose contents need to be preserved is scanned in and held in "the cloud". That is data storage out there in "internet land". Managed by a commercial company on my behalf. Actually, I am so paranoid that my data are held by multiple companies. My fears about my data have been with me most of my life. When at primary school, I missed quite a lot of my time there because of illness, I used to have books full of codes. Not for any purpose related to my concealing the content of my writings. Rather, just because I enjoyed manipulating the symbols which are the let