Skip to main content

I love trains

Sundays are the day for checking that everything is in place for the week ahead. The meetings in the calendar include discussion of our environment. When I was appointed Climate Change Minister in 2007, it moved that topic up my personal interests list. And it has remained there. Yes, COVID-19 is our immediate and very pressing problem. Yes, by reducing our travel it has checked our greenhouse footprint. But we lose that if we up our car mileage post-pandemic.

With Scotrail back to near normal tomorrow, we now, after a considerable period of actively encouraging the opposite, must get us back onto public transport.

All its previous advantages, lower cost, lower stress, lower environmental footprint are still there. Lower cost you say, Stewart? Yes, I do! Let's nail it now.

When I travel by car on Parliamentary business, I am reimbursed at the rate of 45 pence per mile. And the taxman does not charge me for the sums I receive. Because simply getting back what it cost me to travel, and not a penny more than that, is not a taxable benefit.

There is, therefore, a broad agreement that it costs, on average, 45 pence to turn the wheels on my car for each mile I travel. So if I take my car from home to Parliament, I am paid £153.90 for the 342 miles I drive.

If I catch the train, I still have either 30 or 58 miles for the return drive between home and one of the stations I use. Fifty-eight miles at 45p per mile is £26.10. The train south has a maximum standard class fare of £78.50. So that's a total of £104.60. The saving is, therefore, £49.30, almost a third.

For my usual thirty-six round trips each year that's a saving of £1,774.80.

It actually gets better than that. Some weeks I can travel offpeak and get the fare down to £54.20, a saving of £24.30. As I am over sixty years old, buying a Senior Railcard at £30 per annum gets a third off. The peak fare drops to £51.80, a drop of £26.30. I buy my own Railcard for personal use and make more than the cost in savings.

I can hear some of you champing at the bit to say that you don't spend 45 pence when you travel in your car. The fuel to take my car a mile is currently about 10 pence. That's at about 50 miles per gallon and a gallon costing about £5.

My insurance is about £600 per annum. Car tax £100. Servicing £300. Tyres last about 25,000 miles and cost about £400 for a new set so for 8,300 miles a year that's another £135 per annum.

So for one year when I drive 8,300 miles I spend:
  • £830 for fuel
  • £600 for insurance
  • £100 for road tax
  • £300 for servicing
  • £135 for tyres
That comes to £1,965 in total. But that's only 23.67 pence per mile I hear you say.

I run a second-hand Honda Civic. Even the best of cars need replacing. If the value of my car dropped by £1,770 in a year that means my total annual costs are £3,735. Divide that by my mileage, and you get 45 pence per miles. Except that actually, the value of my car will fall by more like £2,500 each year.

I, therefore, am making a loss at 45 pence per mile.

So on economic grounds, it's the train whenever possible.

More to the point is safety and stress. When I use the car, I lose seven hours of my life each week. That's an entire working day if you have a 35 hour week; mine's more like fifty-five or more.

Remember that travelling by train means I can work. On the computer, reading paperwork, writing. Or just relaxing at least some of the time.

Let's beat the drum for the train. Cheaper, environmentally less damaging, less stressful, safer. And did I say cheaper? Yes; definitely cheaper.

I am not trying to do down the bus. They get places the train can't reach and will never get to. And for an over-sixty like me, it is cost-free. Unless I splurge on the booking fee for some long distance coaches. Last time I looked that's mostly around a £1.

The bus is a bit less of an option for me as I find I can't read or write on board. But I have one older staff member who uses the bus to travel to Edinburgh when I need him down there. Nearly a zero claim from him. Excellent.

I have always looked at value for money in my travelling choices. Years ago, when easyJet opened their first air route - Edinburgh-Luton - I pretty quickly transferred my allegiance away from high-cost carriers. The Bank's contracted travel agent was very grumpy about it. But in cutting my costs to a quarter of what they had previously been, I grew a thick skin and turned a deaf ear to their complaints.

As a Minister, I had to travel to a UN Climate Change Conference in Poznan, Poland. The Government's contracted travel agents wanted £600 return to get me there. I suggested that sounded a bit steep and found a flight, with Wizz Air, that took us from Prestwick to Poland for £20. The plane was brand new, albeit we landed at Poznan at 0300 hours. My Private Secretary may, after a decade, have started to think about forgiving my parsimoniousness.

She was better pleased when we travelled for two-thirds the proposed British Airways fare from Edinburgh to Beijing by using KLM. And managed to sneak into the best seats on their aircraft.

So welcome back Scotrail. I'll be there and be wearing my facemask.

Join the club. They have.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Eric Liddell Centre Burns Supper

Welcome to the world of Robert Burns. 558 pieces of writing over a couple of decades, around 400,000 words in total. Not all of it in Scots. Some of it, as his “Grace Before Dinner” illustrates, in English; O thou who kindly dost provide For every creature's want! We bless Thee, God of Nature wide, For all Thy goodness lent: And if it please Thee, Heavenly Guide, May never worse be sent; But, whether granted, or denied, Lord, bless us with content. Amen! Thank you indeed to those who tonight did provide. Some of Burns’ writings, recorded for us long-standing folk songs. An educated man who studied French, Latin and mathematics. Not a rich man, not a poor man; when he died he left the equivalent in today’s money about £40,000. And a man known to this day as a father whose children had many mothers. Every woman in Edinburgh and many beyond seemed to want to explore what he kept in his trousers. Indeed on the very day of his funeral, his last child was born. Burns

Tome for a new keybiard

Today is the one hundred and eighth daily episode of my reports from an 8th decader's lockdown. For a mathematician, 108 is a "good" number. Having three digits just locks into parts of the brain that tune into threes. And at a glance, it is a number that is divisible by three. Why, at a glance? Because if you add up the digits one, zero and eight, the answer is nine. Any number whose digits add up to a number that divides by three is itself divisible by three. If after the first add, you have answer bigger than nine, add the digits together and keep doing that until you have a single digit. This is a digit sum. If the final digit is a nine, then the original number will be divisible by three and by nine. If it's a six, then it's divisible by two and by three. And finally, if it's a three, then it is an odd number which is divisible by three. I am far from sure, but my memory is trying to persuade me that I was taught this at school. I am certain about

On being a fit old loon

One of the quite significant changes brought to my life through lockdown is the taking of more exercise. And yesterday marked an important numerical milestone - 400 of them. Coupled with my having spent 427 minutes (7 hours 7 minutes if you wish) on the rowing machine where it's been 40 strokes a minute, I have not been fitter for decades. There's been a bit of rooting about among the accumulated detritus of at least fifty years. Mainly that's led to a slow movement of junk towards the bins. But it has also uncovered a pair of chest expanders. They certainly haven't been used for some forty of those years. I might consider that their time has come as part of the fitness program were it not for the handles at the end of the springs having gone walkabout. May have to fabricate something. All of the 400.11 miles I have walked have been on my daily exercise in the local area. My saviour from the potential damage to my feet and legs has been a pair of shoes with good p