Skip to main content

A Plan is Nothing until it Becomes Work

Each day I have allocated an hour in my diary for a walk. It would too easy to simply embrace the settee and sleep my life away. No way.

But I want to be fitter than I have been, Yes, I am fitter than most of my age group. However, a memory of watching breakfast TV in a Sydney hotel in 1987 provides an incentive.

They were interviewing the winner of the over-40s section of the Australian national cross-country running championships. And why were they interviewing this very fit looking veteran? He had just won the championship for the fortieth consecutive time! He was in his 90s and beating people in their 40s in an endurance running competition. If that ain't a pause for thought, I don't know what is.

So when I was out for yesterday's walk, I stepped up the cardio a bit more. The distance is now a wee bit over 3 miles and the time is down to 40 minutes. Nine days ago 2½ miles was taking 50 minutes. So that's modest progress.

The telegraph poles are a useful marker (remember I asked why telegraph poles and not telephone poles a few days ago?). When I started embedding some very gentle jogging into my walk, it was three gentle jogs from the first pole to the third. Now it's five jogs to the fourth pole. And yesterday one was to the sixth - downhill.

It was perhaps not such a silly target to be doing 10k twice a week after all. Today's walk will be 5 miles - to the post box to post another letter to god-daughter Darcey - and that's 8k, so getting there.

In the countryside, my walk easily fulfils the social distancing rules as well as boosting my fitness. Yesterday I had to stand clear of two vehicles on our single track roads. And in a small increase in risk, I "clapped" a large hound of some indeterminate breed. Before exchanging a mutually cheery "hello", at a distance, with a newish neighbour, that means about a mile away, who seemed to be exercising some control over it.

Janet Street-Porter, she's ten weeks younger than me, writes today that Coronavirus is forcing her to practice retirement. I think I get that.

I have retired three times so far, so I feel I have cracked the PROCESS of retiring. But as I have more or less immediately gone off to do something else, I am still some distance from learning to BE retired.

She retired as a newspaper editor in 2002 but immediately stepped into a new role as "Editor at Large" at the same publication. Process but not being.

Like me, she seems to have found that is what is essential is the creation of a structure to keep focussed on what we decide matters to our social, physical and mental well-being.

For me writing a daily diary is part of it - mental well-being. Walking each day, and setting targets - physical well-being. Social well-being? I have been making long-overdue phone calls - let's mark that one a bare pass in this exam. I still hate the phone.

The diary is taking me into new territory. I have always had a record of my activities - I have a stack of paper diaries going back 50 years much of whose contents are waiting to be transferred into the electronic world.

But recording thoughts, actions and my response to the world around me? No. Politicians writing a daily diary is hardly something new. My thoughts go back to Richard Crossman MP. Without his 3-volume record of his life and career, our understanding of an important part of our political history would be much less.

So an hour a day is committed in my calendar to the task of diary writing. And the deadline is to have it written, proof-read and published by 1000 hours each day, seven days a week.

Familiar territory for Janet Street-Porter. Quite new to me.

But at approaching 1,000 words a day, every day, we're looking at the draft of a decent-sized book in four months. And if I can book another hour in the afternoon?

Inevitably, social-distancing means a reduction in new experiences to write about, I can only "distance meet" so many neighbours in the sparsely-populated area in which we live during my walks. So I am drawing on past life as much as present experiences.

Without planning it, it seems I am finally adopting that disciplined approach that may, just may, see my writing the autobiography many have asked me for down the years. So I have sketched out a "map" for that. Let's see how I get on.

This practising retirement business is beginning to look good. A success at this, achieving my ambition to live forever, looks possible.

And meantime, the adapted lifestyle has taken nothing away from doing the job of supporting my constituents. But the 12 to 14 hours a week I normally spend travelling have been returned to me for other things.

I am finding the adaptation to a self-disciplined life is possible.

Now time to write that letter to Darcey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genealogy Series: Betsy (or Elizabeth) Esplin Bell (1858-1930).

Betsy (or Elizabeth) Esplin Bell (1858-1930). She had a long criminal record driven by her addiction to drink, but was she her husband’s victim? by Stewart Stevenson. Betsy was born on 26 th January 1858 in Dundee to David Bell, a carpenter, and his wife, Agnes Sandeman. i  Father registered the birth, but is recorded as “Not Present”. George T Bisset-Smith, the Registration Examiner, published his book “Vital Registration”, the manual for Scottish Registrars in 1907. ii  In it he states that a “liberal interpretation” should be given to the word “Present” in this context but also states that “Not Present” must not be used. I suspect that leaves most genealogists, me included, little the wiser as to what “Present” was actually supposed to mean. So let’s pass on to the story. Betsy’s parents married in 1856, iii  with her mother Agnes making her mark, an ”X”, rather than signing the registration record, indicating that she was illiterate. Her husband David signed. Betsy appears

Settling In

It's now eighteen months since we settled in Edinburgh after a couple of delightful decades in rural Banffshire. Having never lived in a city, we viewed the move with caution and a degree of planning. The car sits relatively idle in residents' parking in our street. It did only about 2,000 miles between its 2021 and 2022 MoT checks. With the nearest Edinburgh City Car Club pickup point just round the corner, I have only to persuade herself that a further conversion of lifestyle would make sense. The garden flat in which we now live suits us fine. Quite a substantial downsize has meant a clear-out of much impedimenta from 50+ years of marriage. And for the first time, we live permanently together. Big changes. With the time to pursue what has been a hobby since the 1960s - genealogical research - that is precisely what has moved centre stage in my daily activities. Enrolment in an MSc course at the University of Strathclyde. Edinburgh is a large village, and on my daily wal

Second-hand politicians

As I was out for my walk yesterday, seven miles since you ask, it struck me that my putting one foot in front of the other was in no way specifically an MSP activity. Indeed if viewed without prior knowledge, and with the sound off, the daily actions other than our appearing in Parliament would look much like other office workers. In a media world, almost any activity can be the subject of a "fly on the wall" series. I watch "Bangers and Cash" which follows the Mathewson family scouring the outhouses of the country for, mostly, immobile old cars which then get sold at their monthly auction in the village hall in Thornton Le-Dale in Yorkshire. Given that my first five or six cars cost no more than a fiver, I am familiar with the task of running transport on a budget as close to zero as you could imagine. The main cost in my early motoring days was simply my time. And generous expenditure on Swarfega hand cleaner. It was a sort of green "gloop" that magi