Skip to main content

Junior Chef and Dish Dryer

I first engaged with the most primitive cooking when at Boy Scout camp. We threw a raw onion into the fire, removed it when well burnt, peeled the black bits of the exterior, ate the all but raw interior.

Lesson learned. Cooking is a wee bit more than simply the application of heat to potentially nutritious raw material.

I even managed to win the cookery award at an inter-troop camping competition a few years later. Less of an achievement than it sounds as my main rival Iain - an accomplished master of the camp oven, a tin buried under a fire - had burnt his much-anticipated bacon and egg pie.

Like in Government, at home a female - my spouse - is offering guidance on how I should deal with social distancing. And just as I am listening to the wise words of the First Minister and the Chief Medical Officer, - keep your distance, don't panic buy, no pub nights - I accept without argument the idea that two nights a week are mine to cook for.

Brave, brave.

But help is at hand. Wayne Stewart, Chef Proprietor at the excellent Knowes Hotel in nearby Macduff has published a mouth-watering recipe for Cullen Skink Risotto with Poached Hen's Egg (you can get the recipe at https://www.societyaberdeen.co.uk/top-stories/how-to-make-the-knowes-hotels-cullen-skink-risotto-with-poached-hens-egg/).

The poached egg is basic cookery that even I can get right most of the time. But risotto? At least I remembered to get the correct type of rice. And later in the week, I shall be giving it a shot.

Whether this promotes domestic harmony or not remains to be seen. After 50 years of marriage, all the big arguments are long past, and inter-family murder could happen over something that the outside observer would consider breathtakingly trivial. Relationships, especially in close confinement are something that needs to be worked at, even in a context of long familiarity.

Looking after physical health - escaping each day for a 45 minutes brisk walk is one way I am doing that - is but part of the program. Our social environment can trigger mental ill-health. And talking and listening is an important part of avoiding that. Especially the listening bit. Especially listening.

55 years ago when I worked for a few months as a nurse in a psychiatric hospital, the first lesson I learnt was not to hold a mirror up to the unusual behaviour of another. You listen and respond back as if they are behaving normally however loud, irrational, off-the-wall they may seem to you. That offers the opportunity for them to offload and can damp down their behaviour.

Fortunately, our household hasn't got there yet. And due to the forbearance of my spouse - disapproval is non-verbal, that Scottish sideways glance with just the hint of a raised eyebrow, that brooks no response other than blind, unquestioning conformance to her standards - we probably won't make that journey.

One thing that helps is that we have a no mechanical dishwasher. Yup - join the club of the astonished.

Once or twice a day, we foregather at the kitchen sink, Sandra with the dishcloth in hand, me with a dishtowel. She washes. I dry.

Every day we talk to each other, listen to each other. At the sink. No matter how busy the day might otherwise have been.

In our extended family, another challenge looms.

My eight-year-old god-daughter Darcey has been wrenched from the social contact, and even some education, of her school.

Her parents, too, are confined to barracks. And mum - a lady with considerable intelligence and two degrees - asserts that her daughter never listens to her. So how to assume teaching responsibilities?

I am working up some projects for her. Questions that I think, in my older naivety, ought to be answered so that I am better informed. And so my god-daughter learns that she has the skills to find, or develop, the answers. Perhaps too to realise that finding the questions to ask is even more important than finding the solutions.

So here they are.

What is pepper and why? Where does it come from?

What is a wind-chill factor and how do you calculate it? Yesterday's walk demands an answer.

Now that I cannot get my hair cut, will a pigtail suit my silver hair?

No, no. That's one for herself. And I fear the likely answer. I've always whimsically fancied one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Eric Liddell Centre Burns Supper

Welcome to the world of Robert Burns. 558 pieces of writing over a couple of decades, around 400,000 words in total. Not all of it in Scots. Some of it, as his “Grace Before Dinner” illustrates, in English; O thou who kindly dost provide For every creature's want! We bless Thee, God of Nature wide, For all Thy goodness lent: And if it please Thee, Heavenly Guide, May never worse be sent; But, whether granted, or denied, Lord, bless us with content. Amen! Thank you indeed to those who tonight did provide. Some of Burns’ writings, recorded for us long-standing folk songs. An educated man who studied French, Latin and mathematics. Not a rich man, not a poor man; when he died he left the equivalent in today’s money about £40,000. And a man known to this day as a father whose children had many mothers. Every woman in Edinburgh and many beyond seemed to want to explore what he kept in his trousers. Indeed on the very day of his funeral, his last child was born. Burns

Masking time

My spouse has just brought to my attention an interview conducted by Jon Snow on Channel 4 last night. Carefully probing two professors about the flare-up of the coronavirus in Leicester, he let science lead the discussion. That picks up on my writings yesterday about the need for good quality, non-political advice closely available to political decision-makers. Young Jon Snow, he's nearly a year younger than me, is a cool head in a crisis. When I've met him, I have been impressed by his listening skills, his ability to pick the necessary essence of what's been said by his interviewee and test it. What struck me quite quickly was a coincidence of name. One the founders of modern epidemiology was John Snow. He was a physician who conducted a statistical analysis of cholera infection and linked it to a contaminated water supply. Famously the street water pump in Soho was disabled in 1854 and within three days cases dropped off. A further pointer to water being the pro

Summer delight

A double helping of Expresso flavoured ice cream from the Portsoy ice cream shop. When that was brought to me, it represented a small, but very welcome, few centimetres of a move towards a post-pandemic world. Apparently, the shop had quite a queue, with proper 2-metre distancing maintained, waiting outside. One customer, or family group, was allowed inside at a time. So altogether sounds like a safe way to operate the business. There is an ice cream trail along the Moray coast which, in previous times, was an important part of the local tourism infrastructure. The availability of locally made ice cream was the key to its success. With each shop having its own individual approach to flavours, colours and presentation. The Portsoy Ice Cream shop also had strawberries from Barra Berries at Old Meldrum. I am enthusiastically munching my way through a punnet. All that is the essence of a local shop. Today's ice cream feeds into my mild optimism about the future of locally-b