Skip to main content

Two Finger Typing

We've seen our friends across the Atlantic, I've only three US states where I do not know of any relatives, move to reject expertise and embrace bombast in recent years.

And yet none of the inventions which we view as vital parts of our modern existence came without expertise. Not necessarily only from those who have acquired knowledge and skills from formal learning. I am somewhat of an autodidact myself. I found the tramlines along which my formal education tried to direct me, immensely constraining.

But it is a world in which we hang on the words of our Chief Medical Officer Catherine Calderwood as the authoritative voice in our crisis. Our First Minister and Health Secretary Jeane Freeman have to turn her advice into policy and action. But without the expertise, there would be nothing.

All three have voices whose calm and informed delivery assist and reassure us in times of difficulty.

As I sit here, I think about a skill I, and the overwhelming majority of the population, lack—an ability to type with more than two fingers.

To this day, the letters F and J on our computer keyboards are differentiated from the rest. They have a little ridge at the bottom of them. Or perhaps a pimple in their centre.

Because the keyboard used to be the preserve of a trained expert. A person originally called a "typewriter". The word moved to describe the tool and the user became a "typist". Just as "computers" used to be people who "computed". Like Katherine G. Johnson, an African-American mathematician, who had a bigger hand in the USA's space successes than any astronaut.

My pal Archie was almost the only computer programmer I knew who sat down at his keyboard and, without looking, placed his hands in the correct position to use all his fingers in an expert demonstration of rapid-fire touch typing.

The other was Brian.

I started as a trainee computer programmer in October 1969 and was put in a room on the first floor of 66 George Street, Edinburgh to study how to program. I had never seen a computer before I was recruited to the job. They just tested your IQ and you could be in.

In the room with me was a card punch machine. Before the computer keyboard allowed us to directly communicate with the beast, we used a card roughly the size of a dollar bill which had holes punched in it to instruct our master, an IBM 360 series giant. And this machine punched the holes in the card.

The technology was not terribly new. Joseph Jacquard demonstrated his attachment for the power loom in 1801. A roll of card with punched holes controlled the complex weaving actions needed for new designs. It revolutionised the weaving industry, displaced many craft weavers but made woven products available to many who could not have previously afforded it.

The punched card, invented by Herman Hollerith, came later in the 19th century and broke through to mainstream data processing after the 1890 US Census.

It was realised that manually collating the census data, as had been done for previous censuses, would not be complete by the time of the next census. The task was simply too big. Automation was required.

Hollerith's card with its forty columns of ten holes, or spaces without holes, could hold a lot of data. It is could actually hold 2400 different sets of data which is a hundred-and-twenty-one-digit number you get by multiplying 1,099,511,627,776 by itself ten times. Don't ask; I don't have the time or inclination. The first digit is 1 and the last is 6.

His card was the size of a dollar bill for no reason that has ever been disclosed to me. We later added two more rows to produce a slightly bigger card onto which I punched my first tentative steps in computer programming.

Brian was anything but tentative. He would stride into the room. Head for the drawer which contained blank cards. And sit down to confidently punch his program onto an impressively large stack of cards-from memory. His one constant was to totally ignore me.

Until I moved the little 2-bar electric "fire" that provided the only, and very limited, heat in a drafty, cold room.

Brian came in and walked straight through the fire. An impressive series of Anglo-Saxon words were delivered in short order. And now I realised that Brian was blind.

His world was auditory and tactile. To operate the punch-card keyboard, he had had to learn to touch type. And to place his hands he needed these little guides on the F and J keys.

His typing was fast and seemed to be fairly fault-free. He and Archie outshone the rest of us.

We amateur typists, still peering at out keyboards, pecking away with two fingers never dared return to our ignorance and learn to use a keyboard properly.

The experts beat us every time.

We've never needed them more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No pigtail after all

For the first Saturday in a normal recess, it would be routine to report that nothing had happened. But not so. The post-session recovery that generally occupies the first few days has yet to start. And indeed, is required more than usual. Since being elected nineteen years ago, I have had no May and June months with as many Parliamentary Committee meetings. A bit less speaking in the Chamber certainly, but it's Committee work that takes the real effort. In this past week, it has been well over three hundred pages of briefings to read. And to understand. There are those, not merely people who hope for a remunerated retirement to what Jim Hacker of TV series "Yes Minister" referred to as a home for vegetables-otherwise known as the House of Lords, who regret our not having a second house for our Parliament. Worth noting that over two-thirds of the world's legislatures are single Chamber like us. And a large part of those that do, only have one because ex-colonies

Masking time

My spouse has just brought to my attention an interview conducted by Jon Snow on Channel 4 last night. Carefully probing two professors about the flare-up of the coronavirus in Leicester, he let science lead the discussion. That picks up on my writings yesterday about the need for good quality, non-political advice closely available to political decision-makers. Young Jon Snow, he's nearly a year younger than me, is a cool head in a crisis. When I've met him, I have been impressed by his listening skills, his ability to pick the necessary essence of what's been said by his interviewee and test it. What struck me quite quickly was a coincidence of name. One the founders of modern epidemiology was John Snow. He was a physician who conducted a statistical analysis of cholera infection and linked it to a contaminated water supply. Famously the street water pump in Soho was disabled in 1854 and within three days cases dropped off. A further pointer to water being the pro

My critical data

Were you to visit my office in Parliament, you would find no paper visible. And if you opened the drawers and the cupboards, very little would be then revealed. What there is, lies between the covers of books. From Tuesday to Thursday, there will be a pile of magazines waiting to be read. What's left unread goes for re-cycling at 1715 on Thursday as I depart for home. Anything that arrives on paper and whose contents need to be preserved is scanned in and held in "the cloud". That is data storage out there in "internet land". Managed by a commercial company on my behalf. Actually, I am so paranoid that my data are held by multiple companies. My fears about my data have been with me most of my life. When at primary school, I missed quite a lot of my time there because of illness, I used to have books full of codes. Not for any purpose related to my concealing the content of my writings. Rather, just because I enjoyed manipulating the symbols which are the let