Skip to main content

Mapping the World, or Maybe Just Rural Banffshire

Yesterday I set a new record for myself. I walked 7.17 miles. A new route which involved a walk of 110 minutes was the major contributor. And I did not stop once, not to look at the view, to take a photo, or to talk to a neighbour. And the sun was out.

As with all my first time walking along roads I had previously only driven, I saw things I had never noticed. Because one of the benefits of travelling by foot is the greater connection with one's surroundings.

One of our neighbours has turkeys. The distinctive "gobble, gobble" alerted me even though they were a couple of hundred metres from the road.

I saw a small gravel pit just behind trees at the edge of the road that I had never known was there.

And most important, I saw a sign saying "Footpath". Now that matters because although my new route was good exercise, it was comparatively boring visually. It has a long straight bit of road that seemed to take forever to get to the end of. About 22 minutes walk in fact, with no change in the horizon.

Mr Google provides excellent maps for planning journies and calculating distances. But it shows roads where there are no roads visible in the real world. There is a reason for that. Local authority catalogues of unclassified roads are in some instances decades behind the on-the-ground reality. And Mr Google reflects their records.

The "Footpath" sign, it was clearly a relatively new sign, was important because it indicated a current route for walking which I had assumed was a "ghost" road. I have been passing the other end of this track for a couple of weeks but had concluded that it looked unlikely to be something that went all the way that the map showed. The signpost at the other end is a game-changer. I shall explore that later today. A longer route and the prospect of a visually more stimulating route.

During yesterday, I had an exchange of emails with one of the Australian parts of our family. He is a bit of an athlete. Come on Stewart! Ross has cycled right around Oz. He is a lot of an athlete.

Maybe not quite as much as my Danish nephew Jamie, who has won orienteering world medals twice. His weekly training used to involve running 160 miles a week.

But the advice from Ross sounded good. It was about boredom in training. And I suppose my daily walks, only with the purpose of getting fitter, amount to training.

Having 'fessed up to Ross that I had a rowing machine glowering at me from the corner of the room from boredom through its not being used, I think his advice to use it as part of my fitness training is good.

It's not that the scenery as one's rows to nowhere is going to be very exciting. But a change in the routine of the training will help keep motivation. And the rowing machine will exercise another set of muscles.

Although it mainly exercises the thighs, as walking does, it will do so more vigorously. It can also slim down the belly, a consummation much to be desired, and drive higher heart and lung performance. I feel that arm muscle will benefit too.

One of the age effects is the loss of muscle bulk and, in particular, the reduction in upper-body strength that comes from that. Good advice Ross. Maybe this afternoon. NO .. schedule it in the diary Stewart. Won't happen otherwise.

And the diary has another meeting today. At the comparatively early time of 0830. With yet another technology. I have used ZOOM.US, Skype and the plain-old electric telephone for meetings up 'til now. Today it's Microsoft Team.

This constant chopping and changing between conference technology platforms is a bit-stress inducing. Prevents one from building up a stream of experience that would enable one to discover the capabilities and quirks of one platform. Creates anxiousness each time one uses a new platform. Will it work properly? What is the other end seeing? How do I mute the microphone when I merely want to lurk on the sidelines rather than be an active participant?

I have concluded that I like ZOOM best. Yes, I know that there is some debate about its security, believe me, you'd learn little and I'd lose less if you crept into our electronic room, but it is simple to use. And this morning I discovered one can use a photo as background thus pretending to be somewhere you aren't.

And that's back to creating variety in life that social isolation is fighting to create monotony in.

My late mother-in-law said of her relationship with her husband, "Divorce never, murder possible". Don't imagine that means that they didn't get on. They did. Albeit that Jim's ability to retreat to his shed to do his marquetry, provided the temporary escape and relief from monotony, that sustained an even-tempered life.

There's a lot of potential for boredom for a lot of people for months to come.

Read books. Go for walks. Meet online. Stay fit and sane.

Oh, if you want maps down the ages, look at the National Library of Scotland's maps archive at http://maps.nls.uk. Covers the world, probably the world's best. And nearly as good as physically visiting their map room in Edinburgh. Their old maps have all these "ghost roads" while they were still alive.

Now, will I shave before my 0830 meeting? Yes. Standards, standards. Some routines are worth maintaining.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time, Not Enough Time?

Yesterday was catch-up day with pals. As someone who really hates the telephone, some aspects of that require quite a significant boot to cause me to take the necessary action. My diary is set up - yes, by me - to send me regular reminders about tasks that need to be done. The most important appear on the electronic page in the most vivid and unappealing orange colour. The reward is to be able to click on the "mark complete" button and stare in approval at lines drawn through the task to show it done. But that is not sufficient. To complete a task one also needs time. Writing this daily diary has an hour allocated in the calendar starting at 0700 each and every day. Reading the papers, over breakfast, porridge, since you ask, has another starting at 0600. I am a wee bit flexible about timings. But utterly inflexible about their being in the diary and about the amount of time being allocated to that task. I might move them a bit, but they never get removed. These first...

Slàinte mhath

It's entirely possible to be wrong. And unwise to conceal error that can be revealed by examination of publicly available sources. So when I wrote yesterday that Peter Ustinov played Nero in "I Claudius", it took little time for a pal to point out that it was actually in "Quo Vadis". So I have corrected my error in yesterday's writings and annotated as a footnote that I have done so. In the midst of this viral pandemic, there will similarly be many missteps of science, of public policy and of choice of actions. But here, there is little by way of a corpus of previous experience to test against. And that's why caution needs to placed against what we do know, which is, that this is dangerous, particularly for people with compromised immune systems or vulnerable by reason of age. That's why the existence of our Parliament's COVID-19 Committee, of which I am a member, is important. It contains people with no special knowledge of the subject. Ra...

Windy Weather

Yesterday's walk was a little different. A forecast of wind gusts of 42 miles per hour, admittedly under a clear blue sky, suggested choosing a more sheltered route than usual. So a bit shorter, but much harder, my route took me off-road for some of the distance. Two scarves to keep the wind off my ears, and another day encased on long johns, represented something substantially less than high fashion but provided an effective barrier against the wind. A route around the edge of Reidside Moss, our local site of Special Scientific Interest, was a wee bit depressing. The state of this SSSI is short of the ideal. It should be a bog and support a diversity of wildlife. It is rather dry and looks like a scruffy bit of scrub with a near monoculture of whin, broom and grass. But it probably isn't deteriorating because its status at least prevents it being used for anything other than what is. Nature as it once was—a rare patch of land which is not obviously the product of ...